BluePrintX

Photography should be about picture-making. That is, after all, why we get into it in the first place (well, most of us). This blog is for photographers, people passionate about making photographs, who want to share ideas and concepts, approaches and attitudes. And yes, there will, from time to time, be gear stuff. Oh, and by the way, while you can download and share this blog, all the material on it is copyrighted. All rights reserved, etc.

Friday, February 24, 2006

Musings in the Realm of Colour




Kia ora tatou:
I thought I would pick up on a comment by Pete McGregor on the 2-cigarette method post
He writes:
I admit to an irritation with the hegemony of Velvia and similar ultrasaturated films, particularly when they're used for landscapes. They have an important function, but their mindless use (because that's what editors want and it's what we're now used to viewing) annoys me. Subtlety allows me the opportunity to think for myself rather than be shouted at.

Pete, I totally agree-mostly. Extracting subtle colour from an image is way more difficult than just using super-colour. It requires a much more considered approach and considerable searching.
That said, we have a choice of palette. Now I am going to stick my neck out and say this:

Too few photographers have given much thought about colour and what it means to them personally.
It shows in their images, in colour schemes that grate, or add nothing to an understanding of the image. Worse still the palette interferes with a reading of an image.

Because we all grow up with colour, we tend to take it for granted. Because colour has emotional power, it easy to try and inject extra power into an image, especially if we are trying to influence a competition judge. The result can be sickly, sentimentalist and/or in bad taste.
Understanding colour takes time, study and practice. Picasso did it for blue during his blue period. Matisse developed and passed on an understanding of red that was extraordinary. They focused on an aspect of colour and deepened their understanding and hence practice by working with it, digging deeper and deeper until…well, actually there is no until. The layers continue on.
You can do the same. Pick a colour and stay on its case, growing your understanding. Colour is music for the eyes and mind. If you see red as heavy metal, then yellow may be rock ’n’ roll. And blue?
My own palette varies. But I have made a choice. Let me explain.
It began with this image by Magnum photographer Costs Manos, lifted from his book American Color. The humour of the image appeals, as well as the cultural references to Back to The Future and Americana. But it is the strong palette with the intense reds and deep shadows playing off against the softer colours near the back. The lines of red soldiers suck you into the image, As I read through the book I realised how he uses colour in a larger-than-life-way to underscore the larger-than-lifeness of American culture.
Then I went for a drive. A nice sunny day, with hard-edged shadows, intense blues and a steely edge to the light. And I saw what my own palette should be. This is a country of strong contrasts and exquisite intensity. The colour range is somewhat limited however. So my palette has tended to reflect this. I want to replicate the intensity of my feeling for my country and the clarity of its light.
That was then. This is now, and I confess to a move to a softer palette. Rainy, grey days are a challenge and a side of the palette I personally want to explore.
Whatever you choose, at least make a choice. Colour is not something twee that has sensationalist value.
No, it is way more dangerous than that.
Ka kite ano.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

okay - so working with blue colours is a real challenge. Blue is a cold and receding colour and a lot of people when looking at images - either monochrome blue or accentuated blue in the image - don't like such images - maybe such blueness reflects the photographer's mood! And who cares what others think! However, when we share an image we would like the viewer to have positive feelings about our images as well.

I agree that subtle colours sometimes do not do well in those multitude of competitions out there!

So how do we go about changing that mindset!????

Does anyone have any comments on blue . . . . . ???

Sat Feb 25, 05:30:00 pm GMT+13  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

okay - so working with blue colours is a real challenge. Blue is a cold and receding colour and a lot of people when looking at images - either monochrome blue or accentuated blue in the image - don't like such images - maybe such blueness reflects the photographer's mood! And who cares what others think! However, when we share an image we would like the viewer to have positive feelings about our images as well.

I agree that subtle colours sometimes do not do well in those multitude of competitions out there!

So how do we go about changing that mindset!????

Does anyone have any comments on blue . . . . . ???

Sat Feb 25, 05:31:00 pm GMT+13  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember a lecture you did on films and colours, fuji, kodak and Agfa all giving you differnt versions of tone sof the same colour. Just wondering do you think you get the same thing with image sensors on the digitals?.... does the image sensor on a canon give you a nicer skin tone for example than a nikon or a pentax?... should these be things we're thinking about when we're working through our RAW conversions?

Sun Feb 26, 10:29:00 pm GMT+13  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kia ora Tony: yes, well said. Sometimes (perhaps often), colour is just too difficult for me, whether it's subtle or vivid, and I find myself preferring a monochrome image. Sometimes I know I prefer a particular look but don't know why. Even if I think about it carefully, try to analyse my preference, I end up wondering whether the reasons I identify are the true reasons for the preference or just plausible explanations. Intuition is key, but perhaps one aspect of developing that intuition is to attempt to analyse it?

Barbara: I probably do have comments about blue, but Tony would be obliged to moderate them into oblivion ;^) As you say, it's a real challenge... But off the cuff, I'd suggest that strong, vivid blues are much easier to work with than subtle blues? Regarding changing the mindset, I believe Joel Meyerowitz developed his style at least partly as a reaction to the increasing emphasis on strongly saturated colour. That was decades ago and it didn't seem to make much difference to the trend...

Sun Feb 26, 10:36:00 pm GMT+13  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

John, from what I understand, the image sensor on most digital SLRs is more than capable of capturing extreme nuances of colour. The constraints come later, and are largely a consequence of what colour profile you use. The most common (SRGB) has a gamut much smaller than that of the camera's sensor. Adobe RGB has a wider gamut, but it's still smaller, and you have to use something like ProPhoto RGB to get a gamut that approximates that of the camera — but working with these requires a great deal of arcane knowledge and skill. I find the whole colour management issue a nightmare, and have yet to find a comprehensible, useful explanation. Tony — help!

Mon Feb 27, 09:18:00 am GMT+13  
Blogger Tony Bridge said...

Hi Pete:
Yes, I agree that colour management ican be an utter basT*#d. I do have a system that works for me( but not perfectly. let me give a little thought aand I will put up a post on the subject soon.

Mon Feb 27, 09:46:00 am GMT+13  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Garry
No we don't always have to feel positive - but negative feelings tend to turn people off an image - they don't like it for whatever reason - usually something they can't identify - and move on. Probably negative images don't do well on their own, but in the documentary mileu viz., as part of a set - do well -

and Pohanginapete - it would be good to debate "blue" sometime! and why would Tony moderate you into oblivion - I thought he liked the strong debate!

Have you got a website reference for Joel Meyerowitz - I wouldn't mind following up on that one

Cheers
Barbara

Wed Mar 01, 08:04:00 pm GMT+13  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pohanginapete said "Tony Help" with regard to coolour management. Maybe we all need to go to a course somewhere - maybe online ???!!!??? like correspondence but on the net rather than with a pen!

Does anyone have any suggestions ???

Wed Mar 01, 08:07:00 pm GMT+13  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barbara, Wikipedia has a brief entry about Joel Meyerowitz with a link to the biographical section of his site.
Elsewhere you can find examples of his work, albeit poorly reproduced.

As for blue, well, I reckon Tony's photo of the swimming pool is about as good an example of appropriate use of colour as you can find. Also, I find blue difficult mostly when it's present as a cast in shade rather than a definite colour. Craig Potton discusses this in Moment and Memory, although his photo illustrating the point doesn't work well for me.

Thu Mar 02, 09:49:00 am GMT+13  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for those comments Pete. Have browsed Meyerowitz site - wish I could do similar - it's amazing how "street" photographers see things that the rest of us just pass by! Eh Tony ?

Thu Mar 02, 11:29:00 pm GMT+13  

Post a Comment

<< Home