BluePrintX

Photography should be about picture-making. That is, after all, why we get into it in the first place (well, most of us). This blog is for photographers, people passionate about making photographs, who want to share ideas and concepts, approaches and attitudes. And yes, there will, from time to time, be gear stuff. Oh, and by the way, while you can download and share this blog, all the material on it is copyrighted. All rights reserved, etc.

Monday, May 15, 2006

Volker Speaks!




Kia ora tatou:
I love it when people send in comments. ( Have confidence-make your comment attached to a post). I received this one from Volker, who has forgotten more about IT than I will ever know. There is only one thing about him I find quite insufferable-he is always right! So when he sent me this email, I thought it worth posting.
Enjoy.

Had a look at your blog again - always good reading. Some technical issues need updating though: formatting a memory card will most definitely not wipe everything off it. It will only mark the directories empty. It's equivalent to a quick format on your hard drive - wipes nothing, only puts an empty directory on. To really wipe the card, you have to overwrite each block with zeros. A one-liner in Linux, no fancy Lexar Image Rescue(TM) needed. Verbatim CDs are indeed among the best quality one can buy (unfortunately the better stuff went off-market years ago), and the cost is <$25 per 50 for the "plus" stuff. DVDs are <$40 per 50 (Verbatim, Sony, Imation). It doesn't matter where you buy them, but if you go to the Warehouse, it's your own fault. (I like tastech.co.nz) When naming files, it's a good idea to use the date (though I put it into the directories above). It is however essential to use a Japanese date format - YYYYMMDD. Why? When sorted alphabetically, bingo - sorted by time. I've been using Bibble heavily the last 2 weeks, doing up a wedding, our West Coast holiday, and a few things afterwards. Great program, a bit buggy in places though. And that "Perfectly Clear(TM)" is an absolut w*&k, as well as doing everything to destroy my images (Bibble 4.7). I'd buy it, but pity they don't want to talk to me - no contact email address, no bug reporting-Hey those wallies don't even collect suggestions. Well, nowhere to send them to. D'OH!
He went on to ask which RAW convereters I recommend. Well, ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) is excellent. Pixmantec RawShooter is outstanding. But Adobe Lightroom kicks them all into a cocked hat. I am itching to get the PC version when it is released!
Ka kite ano

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Tony

Is this a Kaikoura seal? I think I recognise him!

I'm watching your blog and enjoying your articles. The current composition posts are great.

Cheers
Andrew

Mon May 22, 08:20:00 pm GMT+12  
Blogger Tony Bridge said...

Hi Andrew:
Lovely to hear from you.
No, he is a North Island seal, although he may be the wandering kind....
As for recognising him, may I suggest you need to get out more!
thanks for your kind words.
feel free to make suggestions in the feedback post.
ka kite ano
Tony

Thu May 25, 10:41:00 am GMT+12  

Post a Comment

<< Home