BluePrintX

Photography should be about picture-making. That is, after all, why we get into it in the first place (well, most of us). This blog is for photographers, people passionate about making photographs, who want to share ideas and concepts, approaches and attitudes. And yes, there will, from time to time, be gear stuff. Oh, and by the way, while you can download and share this blog, all the material on it is copyrighted. All rights reserved, etc.

Friday, January 20, 2006

Digital vs film (what, is that one still around?)


Good Morning. I have been away on the South Island’s West Coast for the last ten days, working on my next book, hence the gap in postings. They should become a bit more regular now.
While I was away, I kept bumping into people who wanted to know whether it was true that film still beat digital, that you needed at least 30 megapixels to beat 35mm film. To them digital was still the poor cousin.

Is it bollocks!

I remember hearing this 10 years ago, when digital first came out. I actually believed it myself, until I got a Canon 10D last year. My exhibition prints were clearer, sharper and had much finer grain (sorry, noise) than I could ever have got from film.
I was convinced and jumped right in. Would I go back to film? Not a chance.
I am going to put my neck out and say this: A 6Mp Digital SLR will deliver better prints than scanned 35mm film. Do I detect the sound of incoming….?

But don’t take my word for it. Michael Reichmann, whose wonderful Luminous Landscape site is in my bookmarks, has a brilliantly lucid explanation of why digital is better.
You can read about it here

Ka kite ano

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kia ora Tony,

I can't think of a good reason why I'd go back to film, but I know some wonderful photographers who are still not convinced. I do know some people who like the idea that their input stops when they press the shutter button: they send the film to a lab and get finished slides back — no need to spend time processing files on the computer, etc. I don't think it's that simple, but each to his/her own.

Nice blog: interesting, attractive and useful.

Mon Jan 23, 01:44:00 pm GMT+13  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I am still in love with Velvia. I don't think my digital likes low light/long exposures, so tranny film still has a place in my camera bag.

And so that was you I saw in Greymouth! Didn't realise until it was too late to say 'hi'... so a belated Hi!

Mon Jan 30, 11:06:00 pm GMT+13  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So thats your view on digi cams, have you the same view for dvd cameras? or is this not the right forum? A nice salesman told me that mini-dv was higher quality for playback than dvd. My questio is do I buy new technology with the convenience that brings or a superceded technology which brings better results?

Fri Feb 10, 03:10:00 pm GMT+13  

Post a Comment

<< Home