BluePrintX

Photography should be about picture-making. That is, after all, why we get into it in the first place (well, most of us). This blog is for photographers, people passionate about making photographs, who want to share ideas and concepts, approaches and attitudes. And yes, there will, from time to time, be gear stuff. Oh, and by the way, while you can download and share this blog, all the material on it is copyrighted. All rights reserved, etc.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

The Inexpressible Joy of Sadness



Kia ora tatou:

In the comments on the last post, Peregrina talks of wabi sabi and quotes Edward Fowler in "One Hundred Things Japanese". Of sakura, Fowler writes: "
... the short-lived blossoms affirm most profoundly the Japanese aesthetic: that what is beautiful in nature and in human life rarely lasts, that evanescence itself is a thing of beauty, and that nostalgic memories of what has fallen at the height of glory are the most beautiful of all."

What a fabulous thing to share. Thank you so much. You see, yet another penny has dropped into place. (I feel a bit like a biological parking meter). Allow me to explain.

I mentioned Ansel Adams as one of my inspirations (Art teachers refer to this as the artist’s model). But there have been others. A long time ago, after I had passed the how-to phase in my self-education as a photographer, I found myself fascinated by the work of the Greats. Truly their number has been legion. Karsh, Newman, Manos, Godwin, Robin Morrison, Winogrand to name but a few. I would look at their work and study their biographies, looking for clues to my own direction. And all of them, for a time, would have their say in what I did, and how I came to my picture making. But there is one you have probably never heard of, about whom I would like to talk.

My good friend Gordon Roberts, whom I have known since boyhood, and whose passion for photographing the natural world got me into photography in the first place, was in the process of downsizing his assets to make it easier to cope with his frequent shifting around the country. As he left for his next adventure, he gave me a copy of a book called ‘Japanese Rivers in the Four Seasons’ by master photographer Takashi Komatsu. Komatsu had spent a year and 300 000km journeying the length and breadth of Japan, to create an exquisite essay on rivers. A long lonely journey, I suspect, using a 4x5 and transparency film. The nature of the images and his brief comments show a dedication and commitment that were quite astonishing.

But it was the images themselves that got to me. There was something infinitely beautiful and at the same time sad about the images. There was an exquisite distillation of his subject material, a simplicity and refinement of subject material into something so subtly pure that it was easy to skip over it and miss the nuances. Colour, form, time and intention all seemed to meet at a single point.
I read the book again and again, looking for a key to understand, to add to my photographic vocabulary. And I found many keys. I have continued to find them. Only lately have I come to realise that each key I found was the one appropriate of where I was at the time, that the keys metamorphosed each time I revisited the work. So I gained an understanding of colour composition at a time when I needed feeding in that area. I learned something of the Nature of Journey at a time when that was appropriate. But the true essence of his work eluded me. Until now.
Looking at the concept of wabi sabi, it is clear that what he sees is the inexpressible Joy of Sadness. And, artist that he is, Komatsu attempts to express what he sees. His perfection is a transient one, captured in halides and dyes. His awareness of the passing of things is, nonetheless captured for a moment. His artist’s statement reinforces this. He can see the beauty of his rivers being gradually eroded by ‘civilisation’ and industrialisation, and like Adams, he attempts to halt this by holding a mirror up for his society to see.

In my journeying around New Zealand, I have visited and photographed some extraordinary places. The image above was made in the Ruapehu District, just west of Waiouru. After being held by the snow in Turangi, I was heading south. I came up around a bend and this scene called to me. I stopped, got out and studied it.
I have always loved snow and its inherent transience. It falls, is strong for a time, flexes its muscles briefly, then fades away. Looking at snow is like looking at the Passing of Time. Everything passes. The simplicity and monochrome palette somehow added a poignance to my feelings. The fences and trees were only temporarily overwhelmed. In a day or two it would all be gone. And only this image would remain. for a little longer.

For me this is one of those images, the really significant ones, which ask as much as they give.

Mono no aware. The Inexpressible joy of Sadness.

Ka kite ano

2 Comments:

Blogger Tony Bridge said...

Hi Linda:
i totally agree. light is transient. consider however, that it is a form of energy and therefore present all the time. It is part of the cosmos and can be quantified. You can't however go down to the Supermarket and buy some( sorry for the flippancy). the point I am trying to make is thatw hile Light exists, we cannot see it per se. It is when it reflects off a subject that stuff happens.Thus the subject influences our perception of light, as Light influences our perception of the subject. It seems to me to be a symbiotic relationship.
Hmmmm....

Fri Jun 30, 08:11:00 pm GMT+12  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tony: I'm delighted to know that my quote from Edward Fowler caused another penny to drop into the biological parking meter!

There is also music that expresses this feeling of joy in sadness, or maybe sadness in joy. Three compositions that come immediately to mind are the "Lacrimosa" from Preisner's "Requiem for my Friend" (painfully, gut-wrenchingly, beautiful); Grieg's Piano Concerto in A minor (written soon after the birth of his son and full of great joy, but with an overtone of sadness conveyed by the minor key); and Elgar's Cello Concerto (rich and beautiful, but also carrying more nostalgia for what is gone than any other music I know).

In your previous "Coming Out" post, where you describe wabi sabi by means of quotes from other people, the word "imperfect" occurs a couple of times. The Japanese have a Moon-viewing Ceremony in autumn (late September or early October), as this is the season when the full moon is at its best. It is held not on the night of the full moon, but the night after, because the slightly less-than-perfect moon is considered to be more beautiful than the perfect one. It exemplifies transience, since the moon was perfect only the night before.

Mon Jul 03, 09:05:00 am GMT+12  

Post a Comment

<< Home