BluePrintX

Photography should be about picture-making. That is, after all, why we get into it in the first place (well, most of us). This blog is for photographers, people passionate about making photographs, who want to share ideas and concepts, approaches and attitudes. And yes, there will, from time to time, be gear stuff. Oh, and by the way, while you can download and share this blog, all the material on it is copyrighted. All rights reserved, etc.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Of Ruth and Zen



A very receptive state of mind... not unlike a sheet of film itself - seemingly inert, yet so sensitive that a fraction of a second's exposure conceives a life in it.
-Minor White


It was one of those serene mornings that yawn and stretch into life on the West Coast. After a day of rain, the weather had come to a standstill while the high rolled gently onto the land. A sense of expectation and an eerie calm had settled over everything. It felt like the weather was holding its breath.

I had meant to be up before dawn to follow the transition from night to day but I overslept and wasn’t ready until after 7am. I went out anyway.

As often happens for me, I wasn’t sure quite where to start, so I stood there and looked around, waiting for the image to come to me. The great American photographer, Minor White, once said “Be still with yourself until the object of your attention affirms your presence.” Over time I have learned the truth of what he said. Sometimes an image has to come in its own time and we have to be willing to wait for it. Rushing around will only keep it at bay. So I waited.

I went and stood down by the water’s edge. Ruth, the elderly whitebaiter in the deerstalker hat and bushshirt who has been coming down there for many years and continues to do so after the death of her husband, looked sternly at me.
” You should have been here earlier,” she said. “The light was really nice then. You missed a good show.”
I got the point. But the photograph was still eluding me, even though I sensed its presence nearby. I didn’t even know which lens I would use. No clues at all.

Then, as if accepting my contrition, the image began to show itself. I looked up at the sky and the early-morning clouds dawned on me. A jetstream far above was drybrushing the clouds into koru-shaped wisps that tumbled and frolicked like carefree children across the sky. At my feet the sky checked itself in the mirror-calm estuary. I felt as if I was standing on the edge of eternity. Land and sky had become one. Now I began to understand why Tane and his siblings might have wanted to push apart their parents, Rangi and Papatuanuku. All that eternity could get to you. The view was huge and wide and all-encompassing, and I felt at once elated, at once diminished by it.

I wondered where to begin. Then the scene told me what to do. It was both intense and panoramic, wider than it was tall. It seemed to go on forever and draw me into some sort of limitless zenlike being, where sea and sky had become one, and the only link with reality was a thin line of darker-toned land forming the horizon.

I went back to my vehicle and got my camera, the 24mm shift lens and my tripod. I slopped through the mud to the water’s edge and set up my equipment. As so often happens, no matter how hard we work to narrow the gap between what our eye sees and what the camera exposes, the viewfinder will often reveal a different truth. (I learned a long time ago to always look through the lens when there was a story to be told; the hard part is knowing which lens will best tell it). I wanted to make a stitch panorama with enough information in the file to make a really big work, at least A0, so I made two overlapping images, shifting left for the first one, then right for the second, and using identical exposures for both.

After working for several minutes, I stepped back, and Ruth, who had been obviously watching me, commented on how much effort I seemed to be putting in, and how she could have done it in much less time. Helpful soul.

Taking a break, we talked about the whitebait season (bloody terrible) and the spring weather (also bloody terrible) and the sandflies( becoming bloody terrible).

Then I saw her net.

It floated there, a drawn-out piece of material reality lying contentedly between sea and sky. Its gossamer tail rested, ethereal, sublime and serene, in the translucent waters, while its glowing, skeletal head basked in the morning sunlight. I went back to The Zone. Lost in another Place and Time, I roamed, making more images, using the same laboriously technical but absorbing shift-lens-stitch method.

When I returned to the Now, I looked around, hoping to talk to Ruth, but she had lost interest. Her back was pointedly turned away from me, the tails of her bushirt, flapping disdainfully, and she was bent over, fiddling with her spare whitebaiting equipment.


One day I am going to find Ruth. I want her to see this image.



7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tony

This is the kind of post I find great. It's got the photos, what made you see them, how you're feeling about the place/time, and how you took them. If you don't tell me the last, I find it a little frustrating because I want to know! For me, it's your photography that makes your blog different, and this is a great example.

While I'm (finally) posting a comment, have you had any more thoughts about how the rest of us can change the world through photography? It's been striking me lately than my photography is an environmentally unfriendly hobby. The camera, lens etc, plus a decent computer for image processing take lots of resources to make. And driving or flying to places to photograph is not exactly saving the world. All for my own pleasure. Hmmmmm.

How would people feel about us calculating the environmental cost of our photos and committing to some action to counter that? It's a small thing, but it's a start. There are places that let you pay for tree-planting to offset carbon emissions, for example.

Cheers, Rebecca O

Tue Oct 31, 09:01:00 pm GMT+13  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah cool
This is a nice mix of inspiration and 'how I did it'.
I like this post Tony.
The best
Andrew

Tue Oct 31, 10:05:00 pm GMT+13  
Blogger Sam said...

Beautiful photos and I loved the post.

Thanks for sharing and for the inspiration!

Wed Nov 01, 02:22:00 am GMT+13  
Blogger Tony Bridge said...

Hi Anonymous Rebecca:
Many thanks for the comment. Yes, that thought has been crossing my mind as well. How photography fits into the matrix of needing to return something. Yes, I agree that it is a resource-hungry occupation, and there has to be some way of putting something back. I am pondering that one. i think that consciousness-raising may be the best thing we can do at the moment,since it is all a question of critical mass.Who was it who said"the journey of a lifetime begins with a single step"....

Wed Nov 01, 07:17:00 am GMT+13  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful words and meanings Tony. Great Post. Well done. We don't need to know what lens or aperture you used - you used the right one! Another great (FPSNZ and commercial) photographer told me that - the right one and it doesn't matter which one . . .

How can we use our photography - donate our time and images to a cause (or other charity) so that charity can continue with their work - and make money from the commercial interests! Just a thought

Cheers
BB

Wed Nov 01, 09:03:00 am GMT+13  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like Rebecca I've been thinking about how I could use photography to change the world. I hadn't thought of tree-planting to counteract the environmental cost, which seems a good idea, but I HAD been wondering what I could do that didn't involve using lots of energy to get to places. I agree with you, Tony, in thinking that at the moment just making people more aware is probably the important thing - achieving Critical Mass. That's when things start to happen on the political level.

I've been thinking along the lines of doing a photography project of some sort - making a series of images that could be part of a local exhibition aimed at making people think about what we're doing to our planet and shown alongside the work of other people doing the same. It's all pretty vague at the moment and perhaps my biggest problem is finding a topic that fires me up. I feel that my project needs to be done close to home, too. That way at least I don't burn up petrol when I wouldn't otherwise have used the car. However, car-pooling by photographers working together on a project would make going further afield reasonable in terms of fuel miles.

Wed Nov 01, 09:06:00 am GMT+13  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi everyone

Since my last post I've been thinking about Tony's project of documenting things pre-windfarm. Maybe that's a model we could run with. I'm still playing with the idea, and it's certainly something for a group, not one person, but maybe we could look for thing/s that are in line for destruction and put on an exhibition. That should be good for awareness-raising!

Cheers, Rebecca O

[Okay, Tony, sometime I'll get round to getting a blogger ID, just not today! In the meanwhile, if you're wondering who I am, think Volker.]

Wed Nov 01, 09:23:00 pm GMT+13  

Post a Comment

<< Home