BluePrintX

Photography should be about picture-making. That is, after all, why we get into it in the first place (well, most of us). This blog is for photographers, people passionate about making photographs, who want to share ideas and concepts, approaches and attitudes. And yes, there will, from time to time, be gear stuff. Oh, and by the way, while you can download and share this blog, all the material on it is copyrighted. All rights reserved, etc.

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

After cataract surgery-seeing again for the first time




Kia ora tatou:

As a few of you may know, I had cataract surgery on my right eye yesterday. The procedure was utterly painless and quite fascinating. It is all done under local and I was one of about 6 being done. A bit of a production line actually. I admit to a degree of dread at what the resiult might be. What if the difference was only minimal?

I spent last night with a patch over the eye, and I went down today to have it removed. I admit to considerable excitement ( and a little trepidation) at what I would see when I had it removed. I was not disappointed. The revelation was quite extraordinary. I have been told how wonderful the difference is. They were right. It is utterly astonishing.

  • Everything has got about 2 stops brighter
  • Colours are richer, especially yellows and reds
  • My perception of contrast has improved 1000-fold. Suddenly everyone has incredibly-textured skins, and wrinkles are highly evident, as is the microcontrast in fabrics and tar seal. I walked around in a daze for a half-hour, studying the roadway, leaves in gutters, and thinking how old some people looked. (Don't worry-I still love you all!)

How to show you all this…

I have made 2 images, a before- and after-shot. That might explain it.

The one above is before as my left eye, next in line for surgery, sees the world: the one below afterwards, as my right eye now sees.

My friend Mark showed me a webpage talking about Monet’s reaction and perceptions before and after having his eyes fixed.

You can read about it here.

Ka kite ano


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

An interesting link, Tony, to Monet and his works. How do you find some of these sites ??? Glad to read that you are seeing again -and what will that do to your photographic "abilities" ?? !!

Wed Mar 15, 07:43:00 pm GMT+13  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice way of explaining it!...trust a photographer to turn a medical proceedure into F sto p improvements!
Oh and nice picies..... although I have to say, there is no way anyone would be going near my eyes while I'm awake!!!!

Wed Mar 15, 11:05:00 pm GMT+13  

Post a Comment

<< Home